Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Messy

Life is messy, its roads are winding.  Still, I wouldn't change the curves, peaks, valleys or even the rest stops for the scenery has taken my breath away.

I never believed that time flew, in fact, ages ago, I swore I was never going to be old enough to get my driver's license.  Now in what seemed like a blink, my babies are 7, 5, and on the cusp of 2!  I just don't know where time goes.

Looking back on the unexpected journey of the past two years, I realize how much it has opened my eyes.  Not that I wasn't looking before, it's like I remembered to put my glasses on and savor the view more frequently.

Long and strange as this trip has been, the fragility of life and blunt reminder that time with my children is not infinite has made me reevaluate each day.  For a long time, I worried about what others thought about how we were raising our kids, and now, I don't.  I know we are doing the best we can with the hand we were dealt, one day at a time.  And that is ok.  

Never in a million years did I expect to find ourselves where we are today, but looking at our children, their smiles, I know we are doing something right.

I may not know what is around the next bend, and yes, sometimes that frightens me.  But just like in the past, we have continued moving forward, together as a family.  While I can't freeze this moment, it can engulf me, wrap me up, so when we turn back the clock to remember, I can say I was completely there, which has been the greatest lesson of this slippery, muddy road.  It might be dirty, but that's what the washing machine is for.     


No comments:

Post a Comment