Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Lemonade

Long weekend.

Cole was plagued by fever, his only request, "train." Needless to say, much of our time was spent rumbling our way to the North Pole on the Polar Express.

Luckily, it is merely an ear infection, so we are just trying to keep him from gagging on his antibiotic. Unfortunately we are dealing with a new side effect. With his abhorrence of the latest drug, Cole is now refusing all his other medications, which has ensued in an exhausting chase and struggle three times a day.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about the magic silver bell and the fleeting nature of childhood innocence. As a parent, I have wanted my kids to have lasting memories, as well as traditions that they will carry on to share with their children. Throughout the past two years, as we have had to make changes, I have often wondered if our situation was taking away from our kids' experiences, stealing part of their innocence, having them grow up before they needed to. Believe me, at the beginning I wrestled with this idea, and a self-imposed guilt that I was not accomplishing my personal goals as a parent. Then, when the girls asked if they could have a lemonade stand to help kids like Cole I realized, while our situation is unique, it has not robbed the girls of anything, but given them the opportunity to truly be empathetic, not egocentric. Not only is their compassion growing like the Grinch's heart, but I can see they have learned a great deal about making lemonade from lemons as well as the unconditional love of family. That above all, we will do anything for each other, no matter what the price, we will always be there for them first.

That I think is one of the best lessons I can teach them as a parent, and I hope if they ever have to endure a hardship as parents, they look back and remember how Nick and I managed. Hopefully we are providing a good example to follow as we continue to forge ahead, chugging along our track.

No comments:

Post a Comment