Friday, July 5, 2013

Infusions

For the followers of Cole's Facebook page, some of this will be old news, yet I've not shared everything here, so I'd like get the blog back up to date.

After Cole's hospitalization this February, we were given two options : remicade or surgery. Neither were our idea of what we wanted for Cole, nor a choice we expected at this point in time.  In the end, we chose to try the remicade infusions.  I have to say, I was so worried initially, yet the drug itself has turned Cole into a different kid.  He has been gaining and maintaining weight unlike in the past.  He has finally hit 28 pounds, which puts him on the growth chart!   In addition, his energy level is through the roof!  Nick and I are just thrilled with how this med is working, honestly, it's almost like watching your baby take their first steps kind of giddy.

Cole did well during the induction phase of his infusions, yet the last two have not been picture perfect.  During both, Cole experienced a reaction, which can be common with remicade, like chemo, the more that builds in your system, the more probability there is for a reaction.  While both incidents were frightening to watch as a parent, the immediate action and supervision of his nurses and doctors calmed my nerves.  I truly can't say enough about these professionals and and the level of care they have given our son, not to mention the the extension of their warmth to me when I am with Cole.

I can't say I'm looking forward to his next treatment in August, when I am there, I'm a ball of nerves.  Yet, I am looking forward to my little bean reaping the benefits of a few hours of discomfort.



No comments:

Post a Comment